Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Wedding Gift List Debate

When Matthew and I got married nearly 10 years ago I resisted having a wedding gift list as I felt embarrassed to "ask" for presents and felt it was rude to expect friends and family to spend lots of money on us even though present buying is a normal custom and part of the big day celebrations.

Many people got very annoyed with me as I dug my heals in further they got more frustrated with what to buy so my mum decided that to tell anyone that asked her that we were collecting Crystal, which is all very lovely but is always packed away in the cupboard and never used as we are too scared of breaking it.

Others decided to buy vouchers or give money which some people do not like because in a way it puts a price on the friendship or feel they have to give more money then they would spend on a present or can afford to spend as they don’t want to be seen as stingy.

When my sister tied the knot 10 year before me her gift list was things that she needed to set-up home as they had not previously lived together but these days most people do live together first.

There are many options for Wedding Gift Lists including department stores, garden or DIY vouchers and some people register with a travel agent for a collective gift from all guests of the all important honeymoon!

What did / would you do?

Wendy
Spirit Wedding Cars

No comments:

Post a Comment